What he has taught me.After reading a majority of Arron’s blog posts in English (from a website which I am the most grateful to for allowing me to know what goes through my Idol’s mind much easily instead of trying to figure out the traditional Chinese words.) It’s not that I look up to Arron not simply because of his looks but his point of views and his won’t- give- up attitude. I’ve also come to realize that he also keeps an open eye regarding the society and the environment a lot. How many people would even do that? All we care is about rushing home from school or work to seat back against the couch to relax. Me, myself is not an exception.
I decided to give it an afterthought after reading what he wrote in his blog and I begun to ponder- giving myself to have a chance to view myself in a different light, a different angle. I questioned myself as I read back my last blog post. Have I been unappreciative enough? Have I been too selfish but do nothing but write posts of nothing but meaningless, hurtful and harsh complains and flames regarding my school and the Principal just for my own selfish needs?
The answer is Yes.
As I look at the others around me, I realized that they are just as arrogant and selfish as me. Equally unappreciative of what we have and complaining we do not have enough. Not only my schoolmates are like that, in fact, everyone in Singapore is. We do not appreciate what we have, we just complain non- stop. Twenty- Four hours a day. Yet what can I do? I am also one of them. Therefore, I have no rights to complain.
Perhaps it is because I have been reading too much of Arron’s thoughts from his blog which gradually got me to be influenced by him (I am glad I’m influenced by such a wonderful and thoughtful idol!), leading me to ponder about my Principal. Thinking into depth, viewing this man whom I have felt been a super longwinded man who repeats like a broken recorder over and over again for the past three years in my school life in a different light too.
Why does he constantly repeat what he says all the time? Maybe it is due to himself being long- winded, yet what can we do? It is his nature; we cannot change nor do much about it. Therefore we ought to try and see his long- windedness as concern for us, students. After all it is not easy to discipline 1000+ students in a school. His only way of advising us to study, work hard and be a better person in the future is to make a speech in front of the whole school which unfortunately all the students go into a state of boredom once he’s on stage. Therefore he would be wasting an hour or two of our time which we claimed that we could used for studying when deep inside we all know that we would just be fooling around.
Despite that all his words are directed to the Express Streams which I rose a complain about to my Chinese tuition teacher, claming that he does not even care whether we die or not in the society later on. She said, “You can’t expect him to focus on each one of you, there are a thousands of students in school therefore he focuses his worries on the better level.” That got me thinking once more, but he does not have a right to try and remove our Social Studies teacher for the Express Stream! We are humans too! We have our rights to say NO. I am thankful that my teacher isn’t transferred to teach them… Or else it is GOODBYE to Combined Humanities.
I gave Mei Hui a call yesterday afternoon just to check if it was raining at the area she was living. This got us speaking about Mr Principal and the air- conditionals in the school. She just shot back sharply, “Think about it. Air- conditions are expensive. Do you want our school fees to be higher than before?” Of course I would not, so I simply kept quiet. Maybe it’s not because he’s been selfish like I always thought. I bet he would also like to have air- conditions in every part of the school too but he thought about our environment first.
We all know that the air- conditionals produce a type of gas which is harmful to the ozone layer and many out there are trying to promote the ‘save the Earth’ campaign but hardly anyone gives it a thought. Nobody even cares. They just take whatever they have right now. There is a Chinese saying which is 失去了才懂得珍惜 it means that once you’ve lost something only then you’ll learn to appreciate what you used to have.
I really do not understand the country’s education system. If saving the Earth is so important, why is it that all the good schools in Singapore- the ones which makes our country proud, the ones which foreign students are most likely to set their goals on if they were to enter our country to be Permanent Residence or just for additional studies have got an air conditional in each and everyone of their classrooms their halls are also air- conditioned??
We also really ought to do something about the cars and vehicles which are speeding around the country, with people rushing children to studies and adults speeding to work daily. The number of speeding death tolls seems to have increased too, usually around the Countdown Festive Season, Chinese New Year and Christmas.
Sometimes I do wonder… why did Arron not step into my life earlier? I might have been able to appreciate this ‘nutty’ and ‘long- winded’ Principal in a new light, yet it is impossible to blame Arron. Because I should not depend on others to find out what’s right and wrong. We all live in this society to be strong and independent, creating our own future. Finding out what’s best for ourselves. We face the world alone.
But it’s better than never knowing that my points of view of my Principal from the start- due to the influence of all the other students around me were wrong. It is a pity I can’t turn back the time and fully hear what my Principal tells us. But there’s still tomorrow. He’s not leaving us yet.
There, I am taking things for granted again. Life, just like what Arron mentioned in his blog, Life is too fragile, in a blink of an eye, your loved ones (Mr Principal is an exception though) might just be gone. Just like his three friends. God bless them, it also taught him to treasure his own life more than ever too.
Now whenever my sister tells mum not to cross her hand when she crosses the road, I’ll just fire back at her simply, “If there happens to be a day when mum wants to hold your hand across the roads and you simply pull away, the next moment you find yourself being rushed to the hospital then you’ll be sorry that you did not allow mum to hold your hand.”
Ever heard of the saying ‘一纯光阴一纯金,纯金难买纯光阴’? No matter how much gold you have, you will never be able to buy back the time which reflects many things regarding us.
For me, I feel that I have wasted too much time being ignorant of my studies, staring at the computer for hours every single day. Searching for information regarding Arron and the members of Fahrenheit. Yet, who was I fooling? Like mum said, “Stop daydreaming about Fahrenheit! It is not like they are going to support you when you grow up.”
I do not want my studies to be affected by Fahrenheit because I want to see them as role models and not people who had caused me to fail my examinations very badly but then it is up to me to continue searching up their information or put them aside for two months just concentrating on my N levels. Once the examinations are over, mum said that she couldn’t care less if I stay up for twenty four hours a day. It sounds like a dream but it will be a reality once the Examinations are over.
It’s high time I ought to stop complaining about everything to my mum regarding my Principal and the school and complaining to my sister about mum and complaining to anyone how annoying my sister is and then continuing to complain to a random somebody how annoying the previous anyone was. It is like a stupid circle, yet not worth anything. But then again, typical Singaporeans love complaining whatever they are not satisfied with.
I also ought to appreciate what nature had given us, a tropical country near the equator, without the blessings of four seasons. It is always summer here. Yet no one likes summer, Including Arron. From his blog, he wrote that:
‘I don’t like summer, yet I like summer,
For if there isn’t agony suffered in summer,
How would I feel the greatness of autumn and winter?
Four seasons in a year, each one will have its own place
It won’t be right without anyone of them ’Quoted from: http://www.wretch.cc/blog/arronbubest&article_id=5954460 (6 May’06)
Translated by: Tiffany of http://www.wretch.cc/blog/frhgloba1Sadly the four seasons does not apply to those who live near the equator. But it’s still the same…
I never liked the hot, humid days yet I still like them
For if there isn’t agony suffered in the hot days,
How would I feel the greatness of the monsoon rain which pours at the end of every year?You would have noticed that what Arron wrote in his blog and what I wrote in mine are quite close. That’s only because I switched the terms around, changing ‘summer’ to the ‘hot, humid days’, switching ‘autumn and winter’ to the ‘monsoon rain’ But you’ll realize that the meanings and messages trying to be passed are quite similar.
Reading back my post in Microsoft words now, I am utterly surprised at how much his blog had taught me. A four and a quarter page length of essay (Including the posts at the bottom from here) with all the essence which I had clearly ignored or never noticed before. I am really grateful to the Comic H.I.M Company to spot Arron online, allowing him to join the great Fahrenheit. Never mind that he’s always Melancholy. That’s just him although we know that he wants to be as happy as everyone else but this is his nature. On television we see a cute, fun and joyful Arron on the outside but deep inside, he is one who is matured and has deep thoughts and raise concern for the society and the environment.
Oh before I forget, there is another thing which really make me look up to Arron more, he is really good at describing the images around him, making them stand out, putting life in them. Here’s one.
The sudden heavy rain disturbed my heartbeat without any warning.
The huge storm made me sudden feel as if I’ve entered the enemy’s army (Where there are thousand of horses and troops)
Surrounding by this saddening ‘music’, I keep thinking in my mind to get out of this ‘situation’
But it seems like trouble keeps coming in one after another.
Right in front of me, are all the enemy’s flags.
As the fight between sword and shields continue, rain- like arrows cut through the air
I don’t even know if it’s sweat or tears running through my face
Running here and there in the chaos
I fought with all my strength in the intense war, after a few hours, I finally left the fighting ground
The sound of war gradually becomes distant as I left the massacre grounds… Finally… it’s peaceful.Quoted by: http://www.wretch.cc/blog/arronbubest&article_id=5440128 (11 April’06)
Translated by: Tiffany of http://www.wretch.cc/blog/frhgloba1
We see that from the post, Arron was treating the sudden rain like an enemy. The sudden rush of the rain without any warning is just as if he has stumbled upon the enemy’s base and they are ready to slice him up. The ‘sadden music’ most likely refers to the crazy sound of the pouring rain and he thinks of a way to get out of the madness. But the rain just gets heavier and the drops of heavy rain are as sharp as arrows piercing through the air. In the chaos, he does not know if it is the sweat or the rain running through his face. The line ‘running here and there in the chaos’ gives us an idea that he is running against the rain. Fighting the rain like an intense war, and finally the rain had either ceased or he had reached a shelter. The rain might have finally stopped but it is finally peaceful.
Hehe... I never knew that analyzing blog entries were so fun. It seems as if I am doing my own self- assigned Literature assignment…
I am ending my longest blog entry here for now. I still have got studies to do. Really, I ought to take my studies to a total different light. Accepting it and face it without fear. From now on whenever I feel like giving up, I know just where to find my inspiration and studying attitude back!! I WILL DEFEAT THE N LEVELS- it’s not a monster for God’s sake.
QUOTE OF THE DAYLive your life fully